Saturday, June 19, 2010

Eat Local, Buy Local, Go to Charlotte's Bakery!



If you live in or visit Fresno, then you need to know about Charlotte's Bakery. When I hear the bell ring as I swing open the heavy front door of Charlotte's Bakery, like Pavlov’s dogs I start to salivate. As I step in, I take a deep breath in and revel in the smell of fresh baked breads and cakes. I look around and see all the smiling people, who are happily chomping on their sandwiches and scones. As I walk up to the counter a lovely person with a warm smile is always there to greet me. Usually that person is a member of the family who started, owns and runs the place. Charlotte’s has lots of sun light coming in and it is always clean, so I feel comfortable while I wait for my breakfast or lunch. Although, even though there are always people there, the wait is never long. They also have outdoor seating, which is wonderful for enjoying the nice weather.
The best cupcakes in the entire Valley are at Charlotte’s, which was named after Susan’s mother. As I understand I it, Susan and her husband both bake everything, and they do it with plenty of love. Cupcake choices are different everyday but some of my favorites are Coconut, Mexican Chocolate, Raspberry, and Lavender Vanilla. (I had the Coconut one today, yum!) I love to ask Susan about her recipes and creations, and I think she also enjoys telling me about them. They also have different bread choices besides the wheat and white, like Kalamata Olive and Jalapeno.
One of her son’s, Sam, works at the cash register with his pretty face and sweet disposition. The eldest son, whose name I don’t know, handles things going on in the back, along with his Dad. Because Charlotte's uses the best available ingredients, and makes each item fresh, with care and love, eating there is an experience that is special, and one to be cherished. In addition to sandwiches, Paninis, cupcakes and scones, cookies,you can also find breakfast cookies there that will keep you full until lunch, Moon Pies, Cannolies, soups, and cakes are also available. Plus, many of these options are gluten free and vegan, so you don’t feel like (or look) crap after you eat them. They also cater and deliver. Charlotte’s is owned by a nice, loving, local family, it has quality, fresh, healthy, delicious food, and going there is a wonderful experience. I am so thankful that this place is here for us to enjoy. I love leaving there knowing that not only is my health benefiting from my choice to eat there, but so is the town I live in. This is a beautiful example of sustainable food. Thank you Rocha family. I love you! Currently located at: 1292 N. Wishon Fresno, CA, 93728 Soon (by Aug/Sept) moving to: 609 Olive Open mon-sat 10-4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment