Friday, July 9, 2010

Yoga Pose of the Day -Child's Pose


Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes the racket in my head is too much to handle. Last night I had a lot on my mind before bed and I felt restless. In moments like this, I take refuge in one of my favorite Yoga postures, Child's Pose.

This is a simple pose that you can try at home.
Why would one want to try it? Because just coming into this pose can free you from bothersome aspects of everyday life. For instance, taking deep breaths in Child's Pose for just 5 min. Can:

  • stretch your hips, thighs, and ankles while lengthening the spine
  • calm the brain and helps relieve stress and fatigue
  • help relieve back and neck pain
  • comfort you when feeling overwhelmed
  • lower your blood pressure
  • help get rid of a head-ache
  • free you from menstrual pain across the low back
To get into Child's Pose, sit on the floor (or your bed) on your shins and tops of your feet, inhale, and as you exhale, reach your hands in front of you and rest your head on the ground.
Take slow, deep breaths, and focus your mind on that breath.

Try it and let me know how you feel, or if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment